Sunday, April 13, 2008

Psalm 22: King David's Crucifixion Prophesy

(Chapter initiated by Steve James during worship.)

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

Monday 4/14/08 Background: David is hiding from his enemies and pleads with God in a song, probably from the wilderness in Israel.

Why is this passage considered prophetic if it reflects David's perception?

These words were also those that Jesus Christ uttered on the cross. Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

Tuesday 4/15/08 Was David despised by his people?

Samuel and The Books of Kings and Chronicles record very little of despising of David. The words cast at Jesus Christ as He hung on the cross were clearly such. Matthew 27:39-43 And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads, And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

Wednesday 4/16/08 Were David's bones out of joint?

No. The form of the words indicate torture of crucifixion developed centuries later by the Roman empire as a warning to criminals and foes.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

Thursday 4/17/08 Were hands and feet pierced at David's time?

No. Once again, this brutal method of taking from the tortured the ability to breathe except by the excruciating pain of pushing up on nailed feet and pulling up on nailed arms while they were naked to the gaze of onlookers was only a Roman invention, not recorded in use before or after.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Friday 4/18/08 How could you divide garments up and also cast lots which indicates winner-takes-all?

The answer is found in the account of John. John 19:23-24 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

No comments: