Sunday, June 8, 2008

Heavenly Father

The Heavenly Father
Monday, June 9, 2008: John 8:28–29
Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things. And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him.”
Background: The gospel of John, the son of Zebedee and the brother of James, was also known as the disciple whom Jesus loved. His beginning clearly expresses Jesus Christ as God.
What does ‘lifting up the Son of Man’ refer to? It is the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus Christ that was done in obedience to the Father’s will.
Did the Father ever forsake Jesus or leave Him alone? No, He did not. God did forsake Him when He bore the punishment for our sin during three hours of darkness on the cross. Jesus Christ said so: ‘My God, why have you forsaken Me?’ But the Father never forsook the Son, for He sai, ‘Father, into thy hands I commend My Spirit!’
Tuesday, June 10, 2008: Matthew 26:28–29
Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
Background: Matthew, also named Levi, was a hated tax collector for the Romans before he became a disciple.
Is ‘this is My blood,’ a miracle, a simile or a metaphor? One of the latter choices because of the following line that clearly identifies it as fruit of the vine, not blood. Note clearly that there is going to be a celebration in the coming kingdom of our heavenly Father.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008: Matthew 26:39, 42
He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.” Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done.”
What was in the cup? Even though we are not told specifically, it is reasonable to state that this is the cup of the sin of mankind. Christ drank what was repugnant to Him to fulfill the will of His Heavenly Father.
Thursday, June 12, 2008: Luke 2:48–49
So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.” And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”
Background: Luke was a Physician and a companion of Paul. It is possible that he was not a Jew but a Gentile.
Why was the carpenter’s son teaching in the Temple at a young age? He was the Son of God and Joseph, the carpenter, was His stepfather.
Friday, June 13, 2008: Philippians 2:9–11
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Background: The Assembly at Philippi was first established during Paul’s second missionary journey in AD 51; the letter was written in AD 61 during Paul’s first imprisonment in Rome.
What will happen in Glory when the name Jesus is mentioned? First, everyone will bow the knee. Second, everyone will say Lord Jesus Christ. It is fitting for us to do so even now.
We are the only group that address God as our Heavenly Father.

No comments: