Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer of Youth

The season of summer is likened to youth. Here’s the Bible’s advice about youth.

Monday, August 10, 2009: Job 29:2–4
“Oh, that I were as in months past,
As in the days when God watched over me;
When His lamp shone upon my head,
And when by His light I walked through darkness;
Just as I was in the days of my prime,
When the friendly counsel of God was over my tent

Why does Job, now in pain and anguish, remember the days of his youth? Job remembers his youth with God as counselor. His walk was in the light of God through the darkness of the world.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009: Psalm 25:7
Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions;
According to Your mercy remember me,
For Your goodness’ sake, O Lord.

What is King David’s Psalm of prayer to God? David wishes God to remember him in mercy rather then the sins of his youth.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009: Psalm 103:1–5
Bless the Lord, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Why does David Bless the Lord in this Psalm? David has repented of his sins and found forgiveness in the sight of God by faith. His youth is renewed by God’s benefits.

Thursday, August 13, 2009: Ecclesiastes 11:9–10
Rejoice, O young man, in your youth,
And let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth;
Walk in the ways of your heart,
And in the sight of your eyes;
But know that for all these
God will bring you into judgment.
Therefore remove sorrow from your heart,
And put away evil from your flesh,
For childhood and youth are vanity.

Why does the wise King Solomon call childhood and youth vanity? If we remember God and His judgment against sin, we will, as youth, put away evil from our flesh. Otherwise, if used only for pleasure, childhood and youth are but vanity, and will pass away without benefit.

Friday, August 14, 2009: Ecclesiastes 12:1
Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth,
Before the difficult days come,
And the years draw near when you say,
“I have no pleasure in them”

What are the days of our youth? They are even now. Remember God now: you’ll never regret it. But other days will surely come that will be unsupported by God.

No comments: