Sunday, December 6, 2009

Parable of the Good Shepherd

Monday, December 7, 2009: John 10:11,14-16

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

How can a dead Shepherd care for His sheep? He cannot, unless He rises from the dead!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009: John 10:17–18

“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

Who has power to die voluntarily and raise self from the dead? Only the sinless Christ Jesus.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009: John 10:19, 22-24

Therefore there was a division again among the Jews because of these sayings.

Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon’s porch. Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, “How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

What is the Feast of Dedication? Hanukah! This is the only place in scripture where mention is made of this festival. It is alluded to in the non-canonical books, Maccabees.

Thursday, December 10, 2009: John 10:25–27

Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

Why did Christ Jesus say, “My sheep hear My voice?” This was the answer to the Jews’ question, “If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

Friday, December 11, 2009: John 10:28–30

And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.”

Do we earn eternal life or try to stay in Christ Jesus’ hand? No, this is His doing.

No comments: