Friday, April 12, 2013

Faith, Hope and Love


Mo. 4/15/13: 1 Cor. 11:13            What does ‘abide’ mean?
And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
What does ‘abide’ mean? Abide means stay. The verse has always intrigued me: why is it worded so?
Tu. 4/16/13: 1 Cor. 11:11            What does ‘put away’ imply?
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
What does ‘put away’ imply? Putting away has finality to it. A point of no return; like Santa Claus, it’s gone.
We. 4/17/13: 1 Cor. 11:12            Is a mirror really dim?
For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
Is a mirror really dim? When the words were written, flat, polished metal reflected an imperfect image.
Th. 4/18/13: 1 Cor. 11:10            When will perfection come?
But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
When will perfection come? Like adulthood, this is what will become of us in our incorruptible, heavenly bodies.
Fr. 4/19/13: 1 Cor. 11:8-9            Back again: what is ‘abide’?
Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
Back again: what is ‘abide’? Love will last eternally. Speech, prophecies and knowledge will evaporate!

No comments: