Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saul and the witch at Endor

Mo. 2/17/14: 1 Samuel 28:3, 4 – 7                  What did Saul do?
Now Samuel had died, and … Saul had put the mediums and the spiritists out of the land.
Then the Philistines gathered together, and came and encamped at Shunem. … Saul … was afraid ... And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, … by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.
Then Saul said to his servants, “Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.” And his servants said to him, “In fact, there is a woman who is a medium at En Dor.”
What did Saul do? Saul decided to consult a witch.
Tu. 2/18/14: 1 Samuel 28:8 – 10                  What did Saul ask for?
So Saul disguised himself … and they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Please conduct a séance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you.”
Then the woman said to him, “Look, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off the mediums and the spiritists from the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life … ?” And Saul swore to her by the Lord, saying, “As the Lord lives, no punishment shall come upon you … ”
What did Saul ask for? Saul asked the witch to bring up an unnamed man.
We. 2/19/14: 1 Samuel 28:11 – 14                  Did Saul get what he asked for?
Then the woman said, “Whom shall I bring up for you?” And he said, “Bring up Samuel for me.” When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice … saying, “Why have you deceived me? For you are Saul!” And … “I saw a spirit ascending out of the earth.”
So he said to her, “What is his form?” And she said, “An old man … covered with a mantle.” And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground…
Did Saul get what he asked for? Yes, but her scream showed astonishment.
Th. 2/20/14: 1 Samuel 28:15                  What did Saul ask Samuel’s spirit?
Now Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me … Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do.”
What did Saul ask Samuel’s spirit? Saul asked about the future.
Fr. 2/21/14: 1 Samuel 28:16 – 19                  What was Samuel’s answer?
Then Samuel said: “… the Lord … has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to … David. … Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel …  into the hand of the Philistines. And tomorrow you and your sons will be with me.”

What was Samuel’s answer? Saul and his sons would die in battle.

No comments: