Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Helper

Monday, March 8, 2010: John 14:16-17
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
Background: These chapters, John 14, 15 and 16 are called the Upper Room Ministry of the Jesus Christ to his disciples before His crucifixion.
Why is this passage one of comfort? The word Helper is also translated Comforter and means One who is to be by your side.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010: John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
Who is this Helper, who sends Him and how will He help us? He is the Holy Spirit sent by the Father who reminds us of all things Jesus Christ said.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010: John 15:26
“But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.
Who sends the Helper and what is His testimony? Jesus Christ will send Him to us from the Father and He will testify of Jesus Christ.

Thursday, March 11, 2010: John 16:7
Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
What is implicit in this part of Jesus Christ’s words? His resurrection.

Friday, March 12, 2010: 1 John 2:1
My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
Background: John writes three letters and the book of Revelation later in his life.
Who is also our Helper in Heaven and how does He help us? The resurrected Jesus Christ is our Advocate, another form from the same word in Greek. He pleads our case for our sins before the Father in heaven.

No comments: