Monday, November 15, 2010

Writing & Tradition

Monday, November 15, 2010: John 21:18 – 19 (NKJV)

Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.”

What commission did the apostle Peter receive from Jesus Christ? (Feed My sheep) Follow me in death.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010: John 21:20 – 22 (NKJV)

Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?”

Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”

Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

Is a commission of Jesus Christ for only one man? Yes, and a private one at that. John was not Peter’s business.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010: John 21:23 – 24 (NKJV)

Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

What did some hear when Jesus Christ answered Peter about John? Some disciples heard that John would not die.

Thursday, November 18, 2010: 2 Peter 1:13 – 18 (NKJV)

Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you, knowing that shortly I must put off my tent, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me. Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease.

For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty.

What was Peter telling believers in his letter? He was reiterating Jesus Christ’s prophecy and feeding the sheep.

Friday, November 19, 2010: 2 Peter 1:19 – 21 (NKJV)

And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

What statement is Peter making? Peter states that the word of prophecy confirmed by its fulfillment is sure.

No comments: