Friday, December 14, 2012

The Fear of Isaac


Mo. 12/17/12: Genesis 22:11 – 12                  What did Isaac’s being bound mean?
But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!”
So he said, “Here I am.”
And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”
What did Isaac’s being bound mean? It meant that Isaac also feared God.
Tu. 12/18/12: Genesis 31:41 – 42                  Who was with Jacob?
Thus I have been in your house twenty years; I served you fourteen years for your two daughters, and six years for your flock, and you have changed my wages ten times. Unless the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had been with me, surely now you would have sent me away empty-handed. God has seen my affliction and the labor of my hands, and rebuked you last night.”
Who was with Jacob? Facing Laban, Jacob calls God ‘the Fear of Isaac.’
We. 12/19/12: Genesis 31:52 – 53                  Who did Jacob swear by?
This heap is a witness, and this pillar is a witness, that I will not pass beyond this heap to you, and you will not pass beyond this heap and this pillar to me, for harm. The God of Abraham, the God of Nahor, and the God of their father judge between us.” And Jacob swore by the Fear of his father Isaac.
Who did Jacob swear by? Jacob swore by the Fear of his father, Isaac.
Th. 12/20/12: Leviticus 19:14, 32                  What are some of God’s statutes?
You shall not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling block before the blind, but shall fear your God: I am the Lord.
You shall rise before the gray headed and honor the presence of an old man, and fear your God: I am the Lord.
What are some of God’s statutes?
Fr. 12/21/12: Matthew 10:28 – 31                  What did the Lord say about fear?
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
What did the Lord say about fear? Fear Him and do not fear.

No comments: