Saturday, January 5, 2013

Jacob's history or Joseph's history?


Mo. 1/7/13: Genesis 37:2a, 5 – 7                  Could Jacob’s history begin with Joseph?
This is the history of Jacob. Joseph, being seventeen years old, was feeding the flock with his brothers… Now Joseph had a dream, and he told it to his brothers; and they hated him even more.
So he said to them, “Please hear this dream which I have dreamed: There we were, binding sheaves in the field. Then behold, my sheaf arose and also stood upright; and indeed your sheaves stood all around and bowed down to my sheaf.”
Could Jacob’s history begin with Joseph? Yes, the son would save the line.
Tu. 1/8/13: Genesis 45:2 – 3                  Why did Joseph wail?
And he wept aloud, and the Egyptians and the house of Pharaoh heard it. Then Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph; does my father still live?” But his brothers could not answer him, for they were dismayed in his presence.
Why did Joseph wail? Joseph could not contain himself any longer.
We. 1/9/13: Genesis 45:5 – 6                  What was Joseph’s revelation?
But now, do not therefore be grieved or angry with yourselves because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. For these two years the famine has been in the land, and there are still five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvesting.
What was Joseph’s revelation? The famine would last five more years!
Th. 1/10/13: Genesis 45:8                  Did his brothers sell Joseph into slavery?
So now it was not you who sent me here, but God; and He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and a ruler throughout all the land of Egypt.
Did his brothers sell Joseph into slavery? Yes, but no: it was God’s plan.
Fr. 1/11/13: Genesis 46:2 – 4                  Did Jacob’s history begin with Joseph?
Then God spoke to Israel in the visions of the night, and said, “Jacob, Jacob!” And he said, “Here I am.” So He said, “I am God, the God of your father; do not fear to go down to Egypt, for I will make of you a great nation there. I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again; and Joseph will put his hand on your eyes.”
Did Jacob’s history begin with Joseph? God revealed to Jacob that He wanted Jacob in Egypt through Joseph. God would bring Jacob’s (Israel’s) people out of bondage as a nation.

No comments: