Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Broken, Contrite Heart

Mo. 3/17/14: 2 Sam. 12:1 – 6                  What was Nathan’s parable?
Then the Lord sent Nathan to David. And he came to him, and said to him: “There were two men in one city, one rich and the other poor. The rich man had exceedingly many flocks and herds. But the poor man had nothing, except one little ewe lamb … And a traveler came to the rich man, who refused to take from his own flock … but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him.”
So David’s anger was greatly aroused against the man, and he said to Nathan, “As the Lord lives, the man who has done this shall surely die! And he shall restore fourfold for the lamb, because he did this thing and because he had no pity.”
What was Nathan’s parable? An example of a neighbor’s female lamb.
Tu. 3/18/14: 2 Sam. 12:7 – 15                  What was the result?
Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul … Why have you despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in His sight? You have killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword; you have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the people of Ammon.’”
So David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.”
And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die … And the Lord struck the child that Uriah’s wife bore to David, and it became ill.
What was the result? David realized and confessed his sin immediately.
We. 3/19/14: Psalm 51:1 – 4a                  What did David sing in this Psalm?
      Have mercy upon me, O God,
      According to Your lovingkindness;
      According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
      Blot out my transgressions.
      Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
      And cleanse me from my sin.
      For I acknowledge my transgressions,
      And my sin is always before me.
      Against You, You only, have I sinned,
      And done this evil in Your sight—
What did David sing in this Psalm? David asked God for mercy on his sin.
Th. 3/20/14: Psalm 51:7, 10 – 12                  What did David want restored?
      Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
      Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
      Create in me a clean heart, O God,
      And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
      Do not cast me away from Your presence,
      And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
      Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
      And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
What did David want restored? God to restore the joy of His salvation.
Fr. 3/21/14: Psalm 51:15 – 16                  Did David offer sacrifices?
      For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
      You do not delight in burnt offering.
      The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
      A broken and a contrite heart—These, O God, You will not despise.
Did David offer sacrifices? No, David offered a broken, contrite heart.

No comments: