Saturday, October 2, 2010

Self Sufficient

Monday, October 4, 2010: Philippians 4:11 – 13 (NKJV)

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Do we need to know how to be abased and to abound? This is the secret ingredient in living the contented life of believers that those of us in the USA are missing or have little knowledge of.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010: 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NKJV)

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

Does God’s grace provide us with material comforts? God’s grace gives us the ability to be self sufficient in what we have while super-abounding in every godly work.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010: Philippians 4:11 (NKJV)

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content

What kind of learning is needed for our contentment? This learning comes in taking each day that God gives us and thanking Him for it and our present condition instead of sending up laments in prayer.

Thursday, October 7, 2010: 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NKJV)

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Does such boasting mean that you proclaim what you do in spite of this handicap or weakness? It means that you do show how God has worked in the problem to bring you closer to Him.

Friday, October 8, 2010: Hebrews 13:5 (NKJV)

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Are these scriptures speaking about a childish “Mine!” attitude? It is surprising how many of us have such an attitude with the most trivial of our possessions! Better would be the view that God has given me all and it is in His power to remove any or all things.

No comments: